Monday, May 24, 2010

LA Moms Blog: Lessons Learned

I have a new post up over at the LA Moms Blog. It's a story about the piano teacher I had when I was a little girl, but don't expect a warm, fuzzy nostalgic look back at years filled with a wondrous discovery of music. No, it's more of a bitter, angry tale of a cold, distant woman who made me never want to sit down at a piano again. Not that I blame her for my lack of musical talent, but I do credit her with instilling in me a deep fear of false eyelashes.

I took piano lessons for years when I was young but don't ask me to sit down at the piano at your dinner party and play "Ode To Joy" or request my keyboard accompaniment when you sing, "Always and Forever" at your sister's wedding. (Don't laugh -- you know you've never been to a wedding where they didn't play that song.)

And the reason is, I don't remember how to a play a single thing after all those lessons and that drain on my parents' bank account. In fact, one of the only things I remember has nothing to do with perfecting my scales or learning the difference between a major and a minor chord. It's this: I remember my piano teacher's false eyelash coming off during a lesson and fluttering down to her cheek, where it sat for the next thirty minutes, totally unbeknownst to her...Read More...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

tags: | |

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails