Monday, February 15, 2010

This day just keeps getting weirder: The Knack's Doug Fieger has died

This has been a really strange day for reasons I won't go into here, but now I just read that the lead singer of The Knack, Doug Fieger, has died of cancer. He was only 57. For all of you infants out there who don't know who The Knack is, they had one of the biggest hits of the '70s, a song called My Sharona. I suppose next you're going to tell me you've never heard of leisure suits or mood rings, either.

I remember this cover of the single -- it made me want to toss my bra and run out and buy a white tank top (okay, and a couple of other accessories too.) Once again, for all you kids out there, a 'single' is a 45rpm record, which is what us old people used to buy when we didn't want to buy the entire album. We would take it home and play the music on our wind-up gramophone when we weren't watching the 'talkies.'

I remember listening to My Sharona over and over again -- it had one of those catchy beats that just got you up and moving and also had the added benefit of driving old people completely insane. And isn't that what great music was (and is) about?

RIP Doug Fieger. Thanks for a great song, and some great memories.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I loved 'My Sharona'! So sad Fieger died so young. I don't think they ever got their comeback off the ground.

    -annie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails