Friday, March 13, 2009

Hot, sexy conversation about nuts, cheese and ham

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to some friends and the subject of Trader Joes came up. Specifically how awful their parking lot is, and after we spent a few minutes sharing our stories and we had a good cry, someone mentioned that no matter how bad it got it was worth it because she couldn't live without her Trader Joes trail mix. Then another person said how much they loved, loved, loved the marinated mozzarella there, and by the time I got done waxing poetic about their nitrate-free lunchmeat we were thinking what a really sorry group of people we were, spending fifteen minutes talking about a supermarket. We vowed to get back to our original conversation about politics, Rihanna and sex and ordered another round of martinis. But then someone had to bring up how Trader Joes has a really "vast, impressive selection of olives," which touched off an whole other conversation about their mochi ice cream. Did I mention we were hot?

It made me think about how people really do like talking about Trader Joes, though, and not just after they've had one too many drinks. And then I found this video on the internet, and I realized how universal the TJ's experience is. I mean, would anyone ever be compelled to make a video about Taco Bell, or about their local gas station?



As you can imagine, this has inspired me to make a short film about my dry cleaners.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

tags: | things grownups talk about

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Nothing short of genius. I have watched that video way too many times. More time wasted on Trader Joe's. My husband is still sucking his thumb in the corner for how many times they have discontinued his salad dressing. I think it is wrong they make people want to go into "bomb shelter mode" for being a possible discontinued item candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally inspiring! Sadly I'm a Whole Foods guy myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THAT SONG! I also love Trader Joes. I moved from LA to Mass where they don't sell alcohol and food in the same place, so no more double chocolate stout forme
    :( Great place though, grade B maple syrup TJ style, the best I've ever had...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this. Brilliant, cute, a love so strong it inspires a hella long commercial.

    I can't really explain why I love Trader Joe's so much (got hooked when I lived in LA, and now I drive 20 miles out of my way to go to the one near my aunt's house whenever I make the two hour drive to see her), but if I found out they're owned by Walmart or that they treat their workers really badly (seem not to - the ones at the store I go to are always happy as hell), I think a little part of me would die.

    I can't believe, however, that this dude sang about Trader Joe's for three minutes without once mentioning CHOCOLATE. That's what always keeps me coming back. (Did love the steer pizzle doggie treats, however - eek!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree wtih E - you can't talk about TJ's not talk about those A-MAZING truffles that melt in your mouth! I LOVE TJs! What a great little diddy - going to have to share that! thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unbelievable. I loved it!
    My friends all talk about TJ like a cult. Truth be told I thought it was way weird and just my friends but apparently I am missing out. I have been a Whole Foods girl but do think I'll drive the extra 15 mins and give TJ a shot after that.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I'm going to have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day...Brilliant!

    The TJ's near my house also has a sucky parking lot (maybe that's what they look for when they're deciding where to put one?) but that's its only downside. It's even across the street from a Whole Foods! I think I should start calling it "Heavenly Corners".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails