Friday, August 03, 2007

Back From Vacay: I'm Not Dead, But I Sure Look Like I Am.

It's been a long time, over a month, since I last posted. That's the longest I've been away from this blog, and thanks to all of you who asked where I was and if I was okay. I'm fine, with the exception of being incredibly exhausted from the girls being off of school, hosting out-of-town guests for ten days straight, having some remodeling done on our bedroom, trashing celebrities and hosting a family party for thirty people. Oh, and two more of our fish died, but we've been too busy to have a ceremony like we did for the late, great Little Guppy. The girls seemed relieved, though when I told them I'd penciled in 'Fish Funeral' on my calendar for February 2009.

I haven't visited a single blog in the last month, either, and believe me when I say it's only because I had to make the difficult decision to read blogs or actually get a few minutes of sleep . I'm looking forward to catching up on everyone's lives - I'm sure many of you have moved, had babies, won Pulitzer Prizes, changed careers and switched detergents. I've only done the last one but, boy - it's made a hell of a difference in my mood and I smell like a freakin' mountain spring.

The other thing that happened since I last posted is that Kiyomi turned nine and we bought her an iPod for her birthday. If you can remember from last year, we agonized for awhile over buying Kira one for her tenth birthday - Is it too much? Are we spoiling her? What a difference twelve months makes, as we no longer have any qualms whatsoever about buying our children expensive, possibly inappropriate electronic gifts. In fact, Christmas is coming and both of them are getting wall-sized plasma TVs that will come wrapped in fully loaded Lamborghinis.

Part of the reason for our caving is the ease of buying one simple gift that they've requested. I'm more than happy to leave behind the days when I'd spend five hours in the Polly Pocket aisle looking for just the right combination of doll, rubber accessories and plastic housing. What could be simpler than making one call to Rigel and asking him to stop by the Apple store on his way home from work? Plus, he's so happy to have an excuse to visit one of his favorite places that he even offered to bring home dinner. I'm telling you ladies, iPods may be the best invention for busy mothers since SpongeBob marathons.

Not surprisingly, we've been too preoccupied to have a birthday party for her, so last night I asked her if she had any idea what she'd like. She informed me that she already had an idea for the type of 'event' (and she used that word, event) she wanted. She whipped out a pad and pencil and fifteen minutes later came back to me with her idea written out - a Carnival Party, complete with game booths, face painting, tattoos, a prize station, snack stand and water games. Nothing elaborate, six to seven-thousand-dollars tops and we're probably talking about only a fifteen-hour time span. I didn't have the heart to crush her idea right then, but I'm hoping she won't be disappointed when she finds out it'll be more like pizzas and juice boxes, water balloons, goody bags from the dollar store and me drawing on everyone's face with a Sharpie. It'll be loads of fun - she'll see.

----------------------------------------------

In some other old, outdated news, my interview with Hayden Panettiere was published in the June/July issue of Genlux magazine. If you're looking for some good bathroom reading, you can drag your laptop into the restroom and read it here and here. Don't forget to flush.








. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

tags: | |

Pin It

22 comments:

  1. Good Lord, I've missed you, woman! Please don't stay away that long again.

    Meanwhile, that Carnival party sounds like a winner. I think I'll steal that idea for my 40th birthday. Might have to throw in some midget strippers or something though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!

    I wanted a carnival party, too. Instead, I got some face time with the mouse from Chuck E. Cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this blog was still operational. I've been using it as a place to hide and stash my stuff.

    Sorry, I'll clean it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! We just got invited to a carnival party, must be all the rage this year. I'm planning my son's party right now, and I'm still considering whether I should just skip all the treats and just give the kids a 5lb box of sugar to take home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've missed you even more than I miss my old laundry detergent. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All is well with the world...welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! I was starting to get nervous that maybe you switched sites and purposely 'forgot' to tell me.

    I totally understand life catching up with you - blogging and reading blogs sometimes feels like a full-time job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only person in this house that reads you more than I do is my husband. I just called to inform him you were alive and well so he can stop fretting. Thanks for making our day! :)

    Off to read your Hayden interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Sweatpantsmom!

    I missed you. And I'm with you totally - sleep outweighs blogs anyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WB!!

    We are also agonizing about the imps parties this year. We might just limit it to dinner and those friends that live within walking distance

    ReplyDelete
  11. I honestly don't know where Tide has been all my life, but I made the switch last month and I am born anew.

    Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back! I'd be exhausted, too.

    How cool is it that you did a bonafide celeb interview!

    If you're like me, your probably ready for your girls to go back to school so you can get some rest. (my oldest is only having a 3 week break between preschool and kindergarten and she's already worn me down to a nub.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. glad to see you've also returned to blogging life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. and so, what "new" detergent are you using to induce you into a good mood while doing the laundry?

    ReplyDelete
  15. 'Bout damn time, woman.

    Can I help draw on people? I got MULTI-COLORED Sharpies. I am cool like that.

    There will be booze for the adults, right? Right?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my kids wanted a carnival party once and what I did was hire a bunch of teenage girls from the neighborhood, designed lots of goofy lawn games using all sorts of outdoors toys that were on sale for the summer anyway. The kids got empty goody bags when they arrived and filled them with their game prizes until pizza and cake time.

    My kid thought it was fabulous and at the end of the party we had lots of new lawn games to play with. It wasn't that bad and totally beats a scary kid play space party any day. (Both in price and in lack of over stimulation)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back! I am relieved... I was going to have you taken off my blogroll and I couldn't remember how to do it. I hate having to look that stuff up, so, thanks for making it back.

    Oh, and my Pulitzer is STILL in the mail. I'll post the pic once it arrives.

    Damn Pulitzer people...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm late to the party -- did the birthday Event already happen? (Sounds like it should make for some great blog fodder!)

    And I can't wait to read your print article electronically. Or something. Either way, good on you for it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE bathroom reading. And I'm glad you're back. I was starting to get the shakes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad your back. I thought about sending you an email to see if you were OK, but I couldn't figure out a way not to sound stalkerish and needy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay, you're back. I kept seeing that damn chicken and wondering what was up. Hayden sounds like a generally grounded person, and I bet she wears panties...always a bonus in this crotch-bearing world!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails